Monday, June 25, 2012

It's better to know or not?

"Computer programming and technical writing are great specialties for introverts. Programmers tend to spend long hours writing or testing code. Also, an analytical mind is very important for developing efficient algorithms" - Craig H wrote on Article Rich.

[Part I]

Sixty-four years ago George Orwell wrote his famous political horror - 1984. The dark scenario of Big Brother didn't come true, but perhaps the title should be - 2084. But more about that later. Thirteen years Matrix hit the movie screens, telling the story of an unspecified future in which most people live in a world fabricated by artificial intelligence. Both are pieces of fiction, utopia, and so a fairy tale. The question the main characters of Orwell's novel and Wachowski bother's film face is whether knowing the truth is worth it. Finally, they riske their life and comfort of ignorance to find the truth. Here the similarities end. Hollywood betted on happy ending - the hero survives, the truth prevails. Orwell on logical arithmetic - what is the force of an individual vis-à-vis the entire system - the main character survives, but broken internally and subordinated to the Party.

Fortunately, in the reality of 2012, we don't have to make such dramatic decisions. Access to information is almost universal, the Internet has changed the world into a global village, and we decide independently how to live and what to believe in. It's just that I'm not entirely convinced that this is actually the case. Let me give an example.

Since recently I own a Kindle - a portable device for reading electronic publications and e-newspapers. I'm entranced by the amount of books I've already read, by the rich selection and easy access. With wireless network I can download a new title wherever I am. Just yesterday I downloaded a book where I read that what I'm holding in my hands is in reality a little spy. Shock. For a moment I turned the device off, but after a minute I turned it back on. Started reading on. My personal spy, which I even named, reports back to Amazon on my every move - what I read, how often, what parts I highlight and how much time I spend on each book. Each 'click' is converted into thousands of micro information falling into the category of personal data, which is then processed into a personalized algorithm. Via this algorithm Amazon suggests items that can potentially interest me. Intuitive bookstore. Just type into search the word broccoli and next time on the main page you'll see books about gardening and best soups of the world.

Some would say great, who wouldn't want a tailor-made suit? Such luxury and the Internet offers it absolutely for free. Another would say truism, I'm quite aware. But are we aware how far things have gone?

My impression is that both Orwell and the Wachowski brothers, in a certain sense, described the essence of AD 2012. Apart from the dramatic fight for life theme, customize interent means we are served a fabricated, crafted world, and a very small part of it. We operate under the dictate of algorithms, which feed on our clicks. Standards, which govern today's internet spill over to TV as well. The bottom line is to know what's happening and have access to the algorithms.

I will continue the topic in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment