Saturday, July 28, 2012

Taming the holidays

Holiday time is the only moment in which I dream of being an extrovert. In March friends proposed to join them for a month long, summer exotic trip. A trip without a special plan. Direction irrelevant, as long as it was far away and distinct. On the very thought of it I got the chills. To my relief, the proposal blew over. As an introvert travelling doesn’t come easy to me. Let alone traveling solo. It’s connected to the fear of the unknown and lack of a safe azimuth. Going somewhere for the first time makes me feel like a ghost. Not really present in a given place and invisible. Taming the fear takes time. There are a couple of ways people like me can step out of their shell.

Although inside I’m a scared introvert, I consider myself brave after all, and tomorrow I’m going on a two-week solo trip. I’m still not sure why I do this to myself. And it’s not the first time. I comfort myself with the thought that I will be the sole architect of my time. Group travels' typical characteristic is that before someone decides what to do and where to go, half of the people are already dissatisfied.

Fear of the unknown has two faces – the place itself and the getting to know people.

My way of taming the unknown place is simple – long walks, and a book with me – possibly a Kindle, plus a notepad. Books give me shelter when I feel over-stimulated by the surroundings. You can find asylum in them, fire off your creativity. The advantage of being an introvert – not sure if I speak for all – is that we don’t get bored, there are so many things to daydream about.

It is much worst when it comes to meeting new people. Introverts don't like small talk. And how can you start talking with someone without touching upon the trivial weather topics? I look for people with whom I can have a meaningful conversation. At times I like abstraction, but I get tired by it soon. Apparently, there is a way to eliminate the preliminary trifles, it is by carrying a deck of cards. There is always someone that is willing to join a nice game.

So, wish me luck. Words of encouragement are warmly welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment